Saturday, March 12, 2011

Where Everybody Knows Your Name.....

That's right, who would have ever thought, your local Post Office would know you on a first name bases.  HAHAHA!  Ok, so all of the employees at the local post office don't know my name yet, but I seriously believe they will before too long.  With all the ideas for care packages and all the stuff that, I think, he already needs, I for see that I will be in there quite a bit.  I am predicting that by the end of the month, I will be a Postal Pro!  Just within the last two or three days have we been given the go ahead for mailing packages to guys.  In that short amount of time, I have already learned that you can mail a trunk, how many stamps it takes to send an envelope to the Sandbox, how long it will take for it to arrive, how to package and ship a laptop, how to package and ship a stetson, how to fill out a customs form, how to estimate the value of what you are shipping, and how to put insurance on a package.  I don't think I have left anything out.  I can only imagine that if I have learned all this in a few days, what plethora of mailing knowledge can one acquire over a year's time?  Maybe, I could get a job at the post office, sure might make things easier.  So if any of you ever have any  type of  packing or shipping questions, my advice would be to find the nearest Army Wife and ask away.


Until next time......Scouts Out!

1 comment:

  1. Just grab a bunch of those customs forms and pre-fill them out at home. And grab a bunch of the APO/FPO Flat Rate shipping boxes...the ones expressly printed up for APOs/FPOs are shipped at a (modest, but not insignificant) discount.

    Funny story: the packages shipped to the Sandbox are fair game for random inspections. When I shipped my DH's first care package to the Sandbox in 2003, it was opened and repacked with some other stuff. Some of my stuff made it to him (but not all, only 4-5 of the TEN disposable cameras made it to him), but he also got a TON of Mary Kay makeup. Whose? Who knows? Don't want to send valuables, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete