Monday, April 4, 2011

Kids Are......

......Interesting.  I think that is the word that I would have to go with to describe them.  You have to wonder how they come up with some of the things they say or questions they ask.  My experience today was with substituting Fourth Graders.  As soon as I stepped into their classroom this morning, several of the children's mouths dropped open and eyes got wide.  Then I started to hear "Oh my gosh, she is soo tall", "how tall are you?", "why are you so tall?", "shh..you are being rude" and several other comments of that nature, as I am 5'11".  Through out the day I had to say "shhh.." or "ladies and gentlemen you need to get quiet" more times than I can count.  Fourth Graders have to constantly be reminded to be quiet and focus on their work.  They love to tattle on each other and they love to contradict each other in telling me what it is that they usually do.   And they also like to whine if they cant find the answer to their questions.  I tip-toed around a student with a disorder, trying extremely hard not to do or saying anything that sat them off, because my note said that screaming and yelling and tearing up papers was a norm for this child.  They are very inquisitive and most of their questions are not about their work.  And my last thought about them, is I think kids have shrunk.  I really dont think that my classmates and myself were as small as most of these kids in the 4th grade.  The old saying holds true, you are never too old to learn, for they taught me several things today and even refreshed me on fractions!


Til Next Time......Scouts Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment